The Raspberry Pi organization released its new board called ‘Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+’ enhanced with new 1.4 GHz Cortex A53 Processor and a Dual-band WiFi compliance. The Pi organization also announced its Power Over Ethernet which makes Powering the Pi over Ethernet line. The new Raspberry Pi 3 B+ has the following upgrades :
- New Broadcom BCM2837B0, Cortex-A53 (ARMv8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.4GHz
- Dual Band Wi-Fi – 2.4GHz and 5GHz IEEE 802.11.b/g/n/ac wireless LAN.
- Bluetooth 4.2, BLE – Bluetooth Low Energy
- Upgraded Ethernet speed from 100 Mb/s to 300 MB/s Gigabit speed over USB 2.0.
- Certified Dual-band Wi-Fi for an easier prototype.
- Power-over-Ethernet (PoE) support (requires separate PoE HAT)
Other Technical features in Pi 3B+
- 1GB LPDDR2 SDRAM
- Extended 40-pin GPIO header
- Full-size HDMI
- 4 USB 2.0 ports
- CSI camera port for connecting a Raspberry Pi camera
- DSI display port for connecting a Raspberry Pi touchscreen display
- 4-pole stereo output and composite video port
- Micro SD port for loading your operating system and storing data
- 5V/2.5A DC power input
Operating Systems: There are many operating systems available for Raspberry Pi. The official operating from raspberry pi is Raspbian. You can install Raspbian in two methods NOOBS (New Out Of the Box Software) or by Flashing Raspbian Image file using Win32 Disk imager or Etcher.
The third-party operating systems like Ubuntu, Windows 10 IOT Core, RISC OS and LIBRELEC can also be installed on Raspberry Pi. Check this link for third party operating systems supported by Raspberry Pi.
The Raspberry Pi 3B+ is enhanced by a new high speed 1.4Ghz Cortex A53 CPU (1.2Ghz in Pi 3). It improves the speed of the Pi. It has improved the thermal design to reduce heat dissipation. An aluminum coating is covered on the top of the processor which act as a heat sink.
In the new Raspberry Pi 3B+, The Wi-Fi is upgraded to Dual Band (2.4 GHz & 5 GHz). The dual-band wireless LAN comes with modular compliance certification. This allows the board to be designed into end product with significantly reduced wireless LAN compliance testing, improving both cost and time to market. The dual-band Wi-Fi might be the new Wi-Fi standard in the IoT devices. The advantage of 5 GHz is that it will have less interference & improved performance.
The Bluetooth 4.1 in the previous Pi 3 is upgraded to 4.2 with Bluetooth Low Energy in the new Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+. This makes the Tinkerers create their own IoT Hubs.
Gigabit Ethernet via USB 2.0:
The Ethernet speed is upgraded from 100 Mbps to 300 Mbps (Gigabit speed) which is three times faster than previous boards.
Power Over Ethernet:
Raspberry Pi foundation has developed the Power over Ethernet feature by a PoE HAT. This will enable the Pi to consume power from the Ethernet line. Users can buy this and attach it to their Pi to use this feature.
Apart from this, the dimensions and price range remains the same. Hobbyists can utilize their old Pi 3 cases & Peripherals with the new Pi too.